Projects / K-12 Education
AISD New Performing Arts Center – Austin, Texas
The new Performing Arts Center located at the Mueller development east of downtown and will serve all Austin ISD schools. At 68,000 square feet the PAC accommodates large-scale student performances by band, orchestra, theater, dance and visual arts groups. The PAC is a state-of-the-art facility that included a spacious lobby that features an art display system, a 1,200-seat main auditorium, a 250-seat black box theater, a dance studio, a multi-purpose room that accommodates up to 100 people, dressing rooms, a Kiln room, individual recording studio and concessions. Additional amenities include a 400-car parking garage and landscaped plaza with three distinct gathering spaces designed for outdoor performances.
Jose I. Guerra Inc. provided complete structural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineering design and the management of the construction administration services.
Along with pursuing LEED Silver Certification, the PAC achieved an Austin Energy Green Building 5-Star Rating which represents a considerable commitment to sustainable design. Highlights of this achievement are:
- Modeled energy savings of 31.6% and 36% of energy demand savings.
- 5 kW solar array produces the equivalent of 5% of the anticipated annual electricity use of the building.
- Reclaimed water is used for all irrigation and toilet and urinal flushing.
- Water efficient plumbing fixtures and non-potable flushing are estimated to reduce total indoor domestic potable water usage by over 65%.
- 835 tons of material representing nearly 83% of the construction waste was diverted from landfill for recycling.
- Over 34% of material used in the building contains recycled content and over 51% was sourced within the Texas, reducing transportation emissions and supporting the local economy.
- 94% of the new wood in the project was sourced from sustainably managed, Forest Stewardship Council certified forests, was used extensively for acoustic and design elements in the theater and lobby.