Projects / Industrial
Walnut Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant – Tertiary Filter Rehabilitation Project – Austin, Texas
This project addressed revisions to the existing filter basins to improve their performance. It also included the addition of two new, separate clearwell structures to provide more available backwash water and assist with hydraulic operations.
The structural work includes:
- Demolition and rebuilding of flume walls in the existing filter basins to accommodate new washwater troughs and higher water levels.
- The addition of two new 30-foot below-grade clearwell structures linked to the existing primary clearwell by three large-diameter connection pipes.
- The installation of a new permanent bulkhead wall separating the existing filter clearwell from the existing effluent conduit.
- A new blower building that resides at grade level above one of the clearwells
- A new covered sodium bisulfate storage facility.
Our structural team faced a challenge on this project which involved working around existing large-diameter filter pipes that must remain in service during construction. The size and location of these pipes restricted and helped to define the shape of the new clearwells.
The plant is located at 7113 FM 969, Austin, TX 78724
Jose I. Guerra Inc. provided complete structural engineering design and construction administration services.